Akvo is a rapidly-growing, entrepreneurial non-profit foundation with a big mission. Our tools are already positively disrupting the ways that development aid is allocated and reported in a sector that has been historically adverse to change. We're now helping to establish the identity and voice of a new generation of development professionals who work on the ground and are committed to being open about what works and what doesn't.
Akvo's staff are based in multiple locations. We have a head office in the centre of Amsterdam with hubs and satellite offices in Stockholm, Washington DC, Nairobi, Ouagadougou, Bamako, Singapore, Canberra, Helsinki, Bangalore and New Delhi. We also have people working from home in numerous other locations around the world. Where you are is not as important as who you are and what you can contribute.
We think job satisfaction comes, more than anything else, from working with great people on exciting projects. Akvo's team is like no other, with motivated and talented people whose diverse backgrounds converge to accomplish shared objectives. Read more about working for Akvo in our staff handbook.
Hub manager, East Africa
Akvo’s East Africa hub is the headquarters of the Akvo Kenya Foundation, and is located in Nairobi, Kenya. As the Akvo East Africa hub manager, you will be responsible for overseeing and leading regional activities, and further developing our international network of partners.
As leader and manager of the East Africa team, you will focus on the continued sustainable growth of the hub, and ensure the quality of our operations in East and Southern Africa. You will be part of the global team of hub managers, and report to Akvo’s global management team and the supervisory board of the Akvo Kenya Foundation.
You need the capacity to manage a broad portfolio of activities and opportunities, motivate a geographically distributed team and deal with challenging and complex situations.
Main tasks and responsibilities:
Requirements and competencies:
- Supervising and leading a team of eight; ensuring appropriate division of tasks and optimum use of team members’ talents and skills, while nurturing their personal development.
- Identifying and raising funds for new sustainable business partnerships.
- Financial management, ensuring a sustainable income for Akvo Kenya Foundation.
- Managing and monitoring projects and larger programmes and making progress and financial reports for internal management, executive boards, and external funders.
- Representing Akvo in the region at meetings and events and engaging with the regional technology and international development aid communities.
- Developing and evolving the strategy of the East Africa hub over the longer term.
- Frequent cooperation with other hubs around the world.
- Co-create the global Akvo strategy with other hub managers and Akvo’s board of directors and management team.
- At least seven years’ experience in programme management, preferably in the international development sector.
- Experience of setting up and running country and/or regional offices, including the management of a multi-disciplinary team and financial management.
- Ability to take initiative and work independently, in a proactive, decisive and results-driven way.
- Experience in sales and/or fundraising with larger multi-country and multi-stakeholder programmes.
- A social entrepreneurial mind-set and strong leadership and communications skills.
- Shares Akvo’s values, and strives for the same goals as Akvo.
- Good experience of and passion for information technologies.
- Fluency in English is essential. Excellent written and spoken French and/or Portuguese would be a plus.
- Experience of working in an international environment and flexibility to encompass the variety of cultures and working styles within Akvo.
The position will be based in Nairobi, and involves very frequent travel across East and Southern Africa, as well as some travel to other parts of the world.
We always look for local talent, therefore we prefer candidates that are already based in Kenya or in neighbouring East African countries.
To apply for the position, please send your motivation letter and resume, including previous employer references, in PDF to Luuk Diphoorn at work[at]akvo.org before the 1 March 2017. Please mention in the subject: EA hub manager.
Human resources intern - full time
Akvo is looking for an HR intern for a period of four to six months to support the HR team on various projects and operational activities. This is an opportunity to learn different aspects of HR management such as talent acquisition, contracts administration, compensation and benefits. You will also have the chance to apply knowledge from your studies and your perspective on current HR trends to contribute to further developing our new people development system, Akvo Horizon.
Requirements and competencies:
- You are a Masters or third-year Bachelor student of Human Resource Management
- You enjoy working in an international environment
- You are pro-active, service-oriented, independent and possess good communication and written skills
- You are proficient in English, both verbally and in writing
- You are accurate, meticulous and able to handle confidential information and documents appropriately.
What we offer:
- An opportunity to work with interesting HR topics in an international environment.
- Based in our Amsterdam office, you will be part of Akvo’s international community, with colleagues all over the world.
- An internship remuneration of €250 per month.
To apply for this internship, send your motivation letter and resumé to Maaike van der Velden, HR Manager at work[at]akvo.org by 6 March 2017.