Akvo is a rapidly-growing, entrepreneurial non-profit foundation with a big mission. Our tools are already positively disrupting the ways that development aid is allocated and reported in a sector that has been historically adverse to change. We're now helping to establish the identity and voice of a new generation of development professionals who work on the ground and are committed to being open about what works and what doesn't.
Akvo's staff are based in multiple locations. We have a head office in the centre of Amsterdam with hubs and satellite offices in Stockholm, Washington DC, Nairobi, Ouagadougou, Bamako, Singapore, Canberra, Helsinki, Bangalore and New Delhi. We also have people working from home in numerous other locations around the world. Where you are is not as important as who you are and what you can contribute.
We think job satisfaction comes, more than anything else, from working with great people on exciting projects. Akvo's team is like no other, with motivated and talented people whose diverse backgrounds converge to accomplish shared objectives. Read more about working for Akvo in our staff handbook .
Data intern - full time
Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Akvo is looking for a data management and analysis intern for a period of six – eight months. This is an opportunity to gain practical experience working in a purpose-driven organisation. You will work on various data analysis projects, such as: looking at which investments in water infrastructure are most effective; and how data can best be combined and presented to be useful for data-driven decision making.
Requirements and competencies:
- You are a third-year Bachelor or Masters student studying information technology or similar. Preferably you have knowledge of working with R, Python and SQL, as well as Excel at an advanced level.
- You have knowledge of data analysis methodologies.
- You are pro-active, service-oriented, independent and possess good communication and written skills.
- You are proficient in verbal and written English.
- You are eager to learn and embrace challenges.
What we offer:
- An opportunity to work on exciting data management and analysis subjects in an international environment.
- A chance to learn from specialists in data analysis, data science, system development and the application of technology.
- You will be part of our international Akvo community, with colleagues all over the world.
- An internship remuneration of €250 per month.
To apply for this internship, send your motivation letter and resume to Marten Schoonman, Akvo Partner Support Services Manager via work[at]akvo.org. This vacancy will remain open until it is filled.
Paid Fall Internship - Akvo Americas
Location: Washington DC
Are you ambitious and dedicated, with a passion for helping teams within the international development sector take advantage of ICTs to do a better job of monitoring, evaluating and reporting on their work?
Akvo is a non-profit that provides a new breed of technology and expert services to teams of people working in development aid to help them measure and understand their work, and achieve their goals. We are looking to expand our work within the Americas and are looking for someone to support our team and our partners.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Assist with cultivating new partnerships in the Americas. This will involve following up on partnership leads in each of the target countries – Bolivia, Colombia, Honduras, Peru and USA – and generating new leads
- Provide support in managing existing partnerships, including facilitating training sessions when necessary
- Support in planning fundraising activities, providing briefing materials for meetings and visits, and drafting correspondence
- Support the Akvo team with administrative tasks as required
- Create new content for marketing, communications and training that is specific to the region
You are qualified if…
- You have experience in project/program management and/or fundraising
- You write and speak English and Spanish fluently (required)
- You are interested in building a career in international development and/or information technology
- You are open minded and a self-starter with good analytical and problem solving skills
- You have great communication and team collaboration skills
- You have the ability to multi-task and operate remotely as part of a global team
This position is paid. Akvo is seeking an intern for the fall of 2017, but specific dates for the internship are flexible. The position will be for 32 hours per week. The intern is expected to be available to work onsite at the Akvo office in Washington DC.
To apply please send your resume and cover letter to Ethel Méndez – firstname.lastname@example.org Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Please note that Akvo does not provide visa sponsorship for interns.
Akvo is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, color, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other category protected by federal, state and local laws.