Back to all policies
- Akvo is committed to ensuring that all donations made through the Akvo RSR system follow a clear process.
- Akvo accepts donations from individuals and legal entities.
- Although the general information on our website is suitable for people of any age, you must be above the legal age of consent to make donations through the Akvo RSR platform.
- In general Akvo follows the policies of its support partners, as well as international and local policies and regulations in place governing donations to projects.
- Donations can be made via PayPal or iDeal. Organisations can also donate via bank transfer.
- Akvo reserves the right to refuse to process any donation. If your donation is accepted, we will confirm acceptance to you via the email address you entered during the donation process.
- Individual donors who donate money to projects or programmes on the Akvo RSR platform do not pay any fees, and Akvo does not take a cut of the donation. The payment gateways Paypal or iDeal, however, may charge a percentage fee of the donation or a fixed fee.
- If you donate via bank transfer Akvo will take 2% (excluding VAT) administration fee, to process the payment.
Refunds on donations
- Once we have sent you the email confirming your donation, it is not possible for donations to be refunded.
- Though information on Akvo RSR regarding project purposes and costs is kept as accurate and up to date as possible, these could change even after donations are made. Akvo does not take responsibility for the exact purposes for which funds are spent, as this is determined by project partners. We therefore cannot refund you, even if the purpose/costs of the projects change.
- We do not provide accounting, tax or financial advice and you should not rely on any information given on our website to determine the accounting, tax or financial consequences of making a donation using our services.
- If projects are cancelled, donations are transferred to other similar projects, according to the support partners’ choice. If your donation is over €1000, we will contact you to ask if you have another project of your choice to transfer the donation to. For more information on this, please see our Project cancellation policy.
- Both PayPal and iDeal are well-established and trusted payment gateways.
- Our partner for financial matters is the Rabobank, a large Dutch bank with AAA status and a long track record in implementing secure online payment systems. Akvo’s accounts are audited every year by independent public accountants.
- Akvo cannot be held responsible for any losses arising from fraudulent or unauthorised use of your Paypal or iDEAL account. If you become aware of fraudulent use or your card, or if it is lost or stolen, you should notify your card issuer.
- All Akvo projects have both a Field partner which implements the project and a Support partner which ensures quality and is responsible for monitoring the project. Akvo pays careful attention to the selection of partners that can use the Akvo system. For an overview of the roles and responsibilities of Field and Support partners, please go to the Partner roles and responsibilities page.
- Donors (and anyone) may share and use the information published on Akvo RSR for any legal purpose. Donors do not have rights to any additional information about projects not already available on Akvo RSR or other websites using Akvo RSR to publish project information. Donors should contact the relevant Akvo support partner if they require any additional information about that project.
- Information relating to donors is processed in accordance with data protection legistlation in force in the Netherlands. Donors’ rights to privacy will be respected. Information collected during the donation process will not be published, sold, traded or rented. We do not share donors’ data with our partners.
- Donors have the right to remain anonymous. Donor data may be used for the following purposes:
- Internal analysis, such as research and analytics
- Record keeping
- Reporting to applicable government agencies as required by law.