Key privacy points: The stuff you really care about
- All data, text, images or other materials created or imported intoAkvo Lumen is referred to as “Visualisation data” throughout this Policy.
- Akvo Lumen User or Organisation who creates visualisations
If you are an Akvo Lumen user
- Your visualisation data is owned by you. Not only that, but the Akvo Foundation treats your visualisations as if they were private (except if you have selected to share the visualisations to the Akvo Lumen’s publicly via a URL or embed code). We don’t sell them to anyone and we don’t use the visualisation data you import for purposes unrelated to you or our services, except in a limited set of circumstances (e.g. if we are compelled by a subpoena, or if you’ve given us permission to do so).
- We safeguard collected data. The Akvo Foundation acts as a mere custodian of that data.
- We hold your data securely. The Akvo Foundation maintains appropriate and sufficient technical and organisational security measures to protect data.
Detailed privacy points: The long read
Privacy for Akvo Lumen users
- What information does Akvo Lumen collect? When you use Akvo Lumen, we collect information relating to you and your use of our services from a variety of sources. These are listed below. The sections afterward describe what we do with this information.
- Information we collect directly from you
- Registration information. You need an Akvo Lumen account before you can create or manage visualisations on Akvo Lumen. When you register for an account, we collect your username and email address. Your account is created using our self-hosted Identity & Access Management solution. An email is sent to you for verification of the account.
- Account settings. You can update your user settings from within Akvo Lumen via our self-hosted Identity and Access Management software.
- Visualisation data. We store your visualisation data for you.
- Other data you intentionally share. We may collect your personal information or data if you submit it to us in other contexts. For example, if you provide us with a testimonial.
- We don’t share or abuse your data. Rest assured, the Akvo Foundation will not sell your data to any third parties.
- Information we collect about you indirectly or passively when you interact with us
- Usage data. We collect usage data about you whenever you interact with our services. This may include which web pages you visit, what you click on, when you performed those actions, and so on. Additionally, like most websites today, our web servers keep log files that record data each time a device accesses those servers. The log files contain data about the nature of each access, including originating IP addresses, internet service providers, the files viewed on our site (e.g., HTML pages, graphics, etc.), operating system versions, and timestamps.
- Device data. We collect data from the device and application you use to access our services, such as your IP address, operating system version, device type, system and performance information, and browser type. We may also infer your geographic location based on your IP address.
- Referral data. If you arrive at an Akvo Lumen website from an external source (such as a link on another website or in an email), we record information about the source that referred you to us.
Information from third parties. We may collect your personal information or data from third parties if you give permission to those third parties to share your information with us.
- Information from page tags. We use third party tracking services that employ cookies and page tags (also known as web beacons) to collect aggregated and anonymised data about visitors to our websites. This data includes usage and user statistics. Emails sent by Akvo Lumen or by users through our services may include page tags that allow the sender to collect information about who opened those emails and clicked on links in them. We do this to allow the email sender to measure the performance of their email messaging and to learn how to improve email deliverability and open rates.
- How does Akvo Lumen use the information we collect?
- We treat your visualisation data as information that is private to you (except if you have selected to share the visualisations from Akvo Lumen via a public URL or embed code).
- To provide you with our services.
- This includes providing you with customer support, which requires us to access your information to assist you (such as with visualisation design and creation or technical troubleshooting).
- In order to provide you with useful options to use the services together with social media and other applications, we may give you the option to export information to, and collect information from, third party applications and websites. When exporting and collecting such information, you may be disclosing your information to the individuals or organisations responsible for operating and maintaining such third party applications and sites, and your information may be accessible by others visiting or using those applications or sites. We do not own or operate the applications or websites that you connect with, and you should review the privacy policies and statements of such websites to ensure you are comfortable with the ways in which they use the information you share with them.
- To manage our services. We internally use your information, including certain visualisation data, for the following limited purposes:
- To monitor, maintain, and improve our services and features. We internally perform statistical and other analysis on information we collect (including usage data, device data, referral data, visualisation data and information from page tags) to analyse and measure user behavior and trends, to understand how people use our services, and to monitor, troubleshoot and improve our services, including to help us evaluate or devise new features. We may use your information for internal purposes designed to keep our services secure and operational, such as for troubleshooting and testing purposes, and for service improvement, product updates, research and development purposes.
- To enforce our Terms of Service.
- To prevent potentially illegal activities.
- To screen for and prevent undesirable or abusive activity.
- To create new services, features or content. We may use your visualisation data and visualisation metadata (that is, data about the characteristics of a visualisation) for our internal purposes to create and provide new services, features or content. In relation to visualisation metadata, we may look at statistics like view rates, data point counts, and the average number of columns in a visualisation and publish interesting observations about these for informational or marketing purposes. When we do this, neither individual visualisation creators nor visualisation data will be identified or identifiable unless we have obtained permission.
- To facilitate account creation and the logon process. We link your Akvo Lumen account to our self-hosted Identity and Access Management solution we use the information you allowed us to collect to facilitate the account creation and login process.
- To contact you about your service or account. We occasionally send you communications of a transactional nature (e.g. service-related announcements, billing-related matters, changes to our services or policies). You can’t opt out of these communications since they are required to provide our services to you.
- To contact you for marketing purposes. We will only do this if you have consented to our contacting you for this purpose. For example, during the account registration process we may ask for your permission to use your information to contact you for promotional purposes. You may opt out of these communications at any time by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link in the communication sent to you.
- To respond to legal requests and prevent harm. If we receive a subpoena or other legal request, we may need to inspect the data we hold to determine how to respond.
- To provide you with our services.
- With whom do we share or disclose your information?
- We don’t sell your visualisation data.
- When might we disclose your visualisation data to third parties? Only for a limited number of reasons. We share your information with our service providers who help us to provide our services to you. We contractually bind these service providers to keep your information confidential and to use it only for the purpose of providing their services. By using our services, you authorise the Akvo Foundation to sub-contract in this manner on your behalf. In rare circumstances, we may share information if required by law.
- Sharing your visualisations with the public. From Akvo Lumen it is only possible to share your visualisations publicly if you have selected to share the visualisations from Akvo Lumen via a public URL or embed code.
- We may disclose:
- Your email address. The email address under which you’ve registered your account is used to access visualisations created by or managed by an organisation. As the visualisations belong to or are controlled by an organisation, we may disclose that email address to that organisation in order to help it understand who associated with that organisation uses Akvo Lumen, and to assist the organisation with its accounts.
- Your information if required or permitted by law. We may disclose your information as required or permitted by law, or when we believe that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, protect your safety or the safety of others, and/or to comply with a judicial proceeding, court order, subpoena, or other legal process served on us.
- Your information if there’s a change in organisation ownership or structure. If ownership of all or substantially all of our organisation changes, or we undertake a reorganisation (including a merger or consolidation) or any other action or transfer between the Akvo Foundation entities, you expressly consent to the Akvo Foundation transferring your information to the new owner or successor entity so that we can continue providing our services. If required, the Akvo Foundation will notify the applicable data protection agency in each jurisdiction of such a transfer in accordance with the notification procedures under applicable data protection laws.
- We may disclose:
- What are your rights to your information? You can:
- Update your account details. You can update your account information by logging into your Akvo Lumen account.
- Access and correct your personal information. As an account holder, you may access and correct certain personal information that the Akvo Foundation holds about you by logging into your Akvo Lumen account. Account holders and other individuals have certain legal rights to obtain information of whether we hold personal information about them, to access personal information we hold about them, and to obtain its correction, update, amendment or deletion in appropriate circumstances. For some information, these rights may be exercised through updating your user account as mentioned above, and in all cases, requests to exercise these rights may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. These rights are subject to some exceptions, such as where giving you access would have an unreasonable impact on the privacy of other individuals. We will respond to your request to exercise these rights within a reasonable time and, where required by law or where we deem it otherwise appropriate and practicable to do so, we will honor your request.
- Delete your visualisation data. Deleting visualisation data will delete the visualisation data from Lumen immediately. We may retain your deleted data for a limited time inline with our backup retention policy. If you deleted something by accident and need to restore it contact the Akvo Lumen Support Team. To the extent permitted by law, we will permanently delete your data if you request to cancel your account. However, if your data was previously made available to the public through other means such as by sharing it on social media or uploading it to another website, this is beyond our control.
- Cancel your account. To cancel and delete your user account, please contact your employer who has the authority and permission to control users in the system. Deleting your account may cause all the visualisation data in the account to be permanently deleted from our systems within a reasonable time period, as permitted by law, and will disable your access to any other services that require an Akvo Lumen account. We will respond to any such request, and any appropriate request to access, correct, update or delete your personal information within the time period specified by law (if applicable) or without excessive delay. We will promptly fullfill requests to delete personal data unless the request is not technically feasible or such data is required to be retained by law (in which case we will block access to such data, if required by law). To request all personal data be removed from the Akvo Foundation please complete the removal form.
- For how long do we retain your data? We generally retain your data for as long as you have an account with us (unless deleted by you), or to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, or enforce our agreements. Data that is deleted from our servers may remain as residual copies on offsite backup media for up to approximately 12 months afterward. We describe our retention practices in more detail in our Retention Policy.
- Security, cookies and other important information
- Security. Details about the Akvo Foundation’s security practices are available in our Security Statement. We are committed to handling your personal information and data with integrity and care. However, regardless of the security protections and precautions we undertake, there is always a risk that your personal data may be viewed and used by unauthorised third parties as a result of collecting and transmitting your data through the Internet. If you have any questions about the security of your personal information, contact Akvo Lumen support.
- Data locations. Our Cloud services are based in the European Union, so your personal information will be hosted and processed by us in the European Union, unless requested otherwise. Your personal information may also be processed in, or transferred or disclosed to, countries in which the Akvo Foundation subsidiaries and offices are located and in which our service providers are located or have servers. You can view where our offices are located on the Contact us page of our Website.
- To provide you with personalised content. We may store user preferences, such as your default language, in cookies to personalise the content you see.
- Piwik Pro Analytics/Matomo &/or HubSpot. In addition to the above, we have implemented on our websites and other services certain Piwik Pro Analytics/Matomo &/or HubSpot features that support tracking visitors to our websites. You may opt out of certain types of web analytics tracking through our Cookies policypage.
- Online Tracking. We currently do comply with any web browser’s “do not track” signal or other similar mechanism that indicates a request to disable online tracking of individual users who visit our websites or use our services.
- Safety of Children. Our services are not intended for and may not permissibly be used by individuals under the age of 13. The Akvo Foundation does not collect personal data from persons under 13 or allow them to register. If it comes to our attention that we have collected personal data from such a person, we may delete this information without notice. It is the responsibility of the visualisation creator to ensure that they have obtained the required legal consent for personal data collection of children. If you have reason to believe that this has occurred illegally, please contact our Data Compliance Coordinator on email@example.com.
- Additional information for European Union users
- Akvo Lumen provides services to users through The Akvo Foundation, ‘s-Gravenhekje 1A, 1011 TG Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- “Personal data”. For users located in the EU, references to “personal information” in this policy are equivalent to what is commonly referred to as “personal data” in the EU.
- Accessing and correcting your personal data. You have the right to access and correct the personal information that the Akvo Foundation holds about you. This right may be exercised by contacting your User Administrator or by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Your responsibilities. By using our services, you agree to comply with applicable data protection requirements when collecting and using your visualisation data, such as requirements to collect consent, inform respondents about the specific uses and disclosures of their data.
- Our Cloud hosted servers are based in the European Union, so your personal data will be primarily processed by us in the European Union.
- You consent to the transfer and processing of your personal data in the European Union by the Akvo Foundation and in the data locations identified in Section 5 by our various affiliates and service providers.
- You consent and agree that we may transfer your data to data processors located in countries upon your instruction.
- You consent to us sharing your personal data with relevant persons working for service providers who assist us to provide our services.
Version 1.1, created July 2018 by Lynn Brännström