Our team at Akvo is our biggest source of pride and joy. Spread across six continents, and with regional hubs on five, we always seek to embody and be guided by the impact that we want to contribute to.
We're often on the lookout for new talent to strengthen and enrich our team. Check out our vacancies below or get in touch with us at work[at]akvo.org.
Akvo is looking for a visionary and impact-driven CEO to lead us into our next phase of growth. As we accelerate our transition from a data tools provider to a data solutions provider, we’re seeking an inspiring leader to continue driving our strategy forward towards 2030.
As our CEO, you have senior management experience in the field of data and development, a proven track record in building global partnerships, and excellent team management skills within a multicultural context.
We believe that sustainable change will happen faster if governments and non governmental organisations become more effective, accountable and collaborative. With a team of data and development experts, a solid and scalable open source data platform, and a proven methodology, we help our partners power their decisions to achieve inclusive and sustainable impact. We support the improved management of water, sanitation and agriculture and have a strong commitment to the sustainable development goals.
Since 2008, we’ve worked with over 20 governments and 200 organisations in more than 70 countries to improve the way they make decisions using data. With a core team of over 75 data and development experts in five continents, we’ve built the data skills of over 15,000 people and have supported partners in carrying out over 6.5 million surveys.
You provide inspiring leadership to the organisation worldwide. Working closely with regional managers and team leads, you define and execute our global strategy, drive business development, and monitor our performance towards objectives and key results.
You understand the importance of data for development and the challenging landscape of international development and IT. You bring in a relevant network and have experience in building, managing and growing relationships with multilateral donors and partners.
This position is based in Amsterdam and you will report to the supervisory board. You are part of Akvo’s board of directors, alongside the CFO, and will act as chair of the Akvo global management team. The regional hub managers and executive team leads will report to you via the management team.
- Drive business development and foster new partnerships with governments and organisations in West and East Africa.
- Lead responsible innovation in the organisation and keep on top of digital trends in the sector.
- Provide inspiring leadership, contribute to a vibrant company culture, and ensure a great working environment.
- Work with the management team and hub managers to agree and execute on short and long term goals.
- Travel to our regional hubs for business development, operations, and internal alignment.
- Represent Akvo in international networks and towards donors, partners and other stakeholders.
Key competencies and skills
- A Master’s degree in a relevant field or an MBA.
- Ten years of senior management experience at board and/or management team level.
- Proven experience in effectively leading and scaling an organisation.
- Proven track record in networking, fundraising, and global partnership development (closing new partnerships and upscaling existing ones).
- Ability to coach professionals, manage and develop high performance teams, and set and achieve strategic objectives.
- An entrepreneurial and innovative approach to business planning and development.
- Excellent command of the English language in both writing and speaking.
- Excellent command of French and/or Dutch is an advantage.
What we offer
- Full time employment.
- A competitive package in line with the market.
- A unique chance to be part of our international Akvo community, with motivated and talented people whose diverse backgrounds converge to accomplish ambitious objectives.
Think you’ve got what it takes? Simply click the button below to send your motivation letter and resume (including references) in PDF to Kathelyne van den Berg before 1 April 2020.