Our team at Akvo is our biggest source of pride and joy. Spread across six continents, and with regional hubs on five, we always seek to embody and be guided by the impact that we want to contribute to.
We're often on the lookout for new talent to strengthen and enrich our team. Check out our vacancies below or get in touch with us at work[at]akvo.org.
Akvo is looking for a front end developer to take a leading role in the development of our open source data platform. As a front end developer, you will mainly contribute to Akvo Flow and Akvo Lumen, our data collection, visualisation and analysis tools. You will be part of the development team with most team members distributed geographically across Europe. You will work closely with the design team and report to the team lead.
As a front end developer at Akvo, you will take a leading role in front end work on our open source data platform. You will mainly contribute to Akvo Lumen (https://github.com/akvo/akvo-lumen), a SPA built using React and a Clojure backend, continuously deployed using Kubernetes, and Akvo Flow (https://github.com/akvo/akvo-flow), another SPA built with the Ember framework (currently being migrated to React) and a Java backend.
Together with our diverse team, you are driven to create valuable products that enhance Akvo’s impact. You are able to figure things out yourself and know when to involve the rest of the team. You always keep pushing to understand why certain things are the way they are or what the root cause of a problem is while being willing to learn and stay at the forefront of current technologies. You do not shy away from complexity and unknowns, you take initiative, and you understand how to split things up in clever ways, so we ship step-by-step and learn from it quickly.
- Develop user-facing features and ensure the technical feasibility of UI/UX designs together with the team
- Optimise the application for future use, maximum speed, scalability and usability
- Lead the future of front end development for the Akvo open source data platform, including mentoring other front end developers
Key competencies and skills
- Knowledge of Clojure, ClojureScript, Java, Ember.js is a plus
- A good eye for design and drive for improving user experience
- Ability to convert a design to functional application with semantic markup with great attention to detail
- Interest in writing and implementing tests
- Good understanding of visualisations like charts and maps
- Able to work independently with a willingness to work in a remote team
- Excellent command of English and French in both writing and speaking
What we offer
- This assignment is a commitment of 40 hours/week and will start with a 1-year contract
- Opportunity to contribute to the front end architecture and work with interesting technologies in a creative and entrepreneurial environment together with highly motivated colleagues
- A unique chance to work with tools that contribute to achieving higher efficiency and better results for the development aid sector
- You will be part of our international Akvo community, with colleagues all over the world
- Remuneration in line with the market
For this position, you will preferably be based in Burkina Faso, but we are open for applicants in the West African region. You will need to be based in the Central European Time zone or with a maximum of 2 hours difference.
How to apply
Think you’ve got what it takes? Click the link below to send portfolio links, your motivation letter and a resume all in English to the attention of Daniel Sunnerek. Deadline: 2 March 2021.
Akvo is looking for a dynamic financial project controller who is eager to learn. As our financial project controller, you will be responsible for making sure that Akvo has the financial systems and procedures in place to conduct flawless audits and support effective project implementation. Of course, you have a great eye for detail and like to figure things out. You’ll be part of the global finance team and report to the CFO. You’ll work closely together with the HR & talent team and project and programme managers based in Akvo hubs worldwide. You will be in contact with many members of our international community.
Akvo has over 120 projects running at the same time, from grants and consultancy to software-only contracts. As the financial project controller, you’ll work closely with project and programme managers from all over the world to explore how you can support them with project-related finance and accounting procedures. You are a responsible, diligent and open-minded team player. You have great attention to detail and a desire to get things done, supported by your excellent intercultural communication skills.
- Oversee project accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems and ensuring compliance with appropriate General Accepted Accounting Principles standards and requirements
- Conduct admin and maintenance of timewriting system
- Assist in the preparation of monthly financial statements
- Execute financial project audits
- Prepare and send out sales invoices
- Keep project and programme managers informed about the financial status of their projects and programmes
- Support (annual) financial planning, forecasting and reporting activities
- Provide organisation-wide support in the use of financial systems such as Exact Online, Rydoo and Clockwise
Key competencies and skills
- A relevant degree in financial administration, accounting or related
- 1-2 years working experience in a similar role
- High proficiency in MS Excel & Google sheets(e.g., formulas, pivot tables, tables and graph production)
- Excellent accounting software and administration skills (Exact Online)
- The ability to handle confidential information appropriately
- The flexibility to work in an international environment and with different currencies
- An accurate and systematic way of working
- An open and approachable attitude
- Excellent intercultural communication skills
- Great eye for detail
- The ability to multi-task and operate via online tools, as part of a global team
- Interest in the international development sector
- Excellent command of English in both writing and speaking (French and/or Dutch is a bonus)
What we offer
- 0.8-1.0 FTE employment
- A unique chance to be part of our international Akvo community, with motivated and talented people whose diverse backgrounds converge to accomplish ambitious objectives
- Contribute to our mission: unlocking the power of data to boost sustainable development
- Salary range: €2600-3600 Gross monthly salary
How to apply
Think you’ve got what it takes? Send your motivation letter and resume in PDF to Kathelyne van den Berg by clicking on the link below. Deadline: 1 March 2021.
Akvo is looking for a full time Senior PMEL Expert to drive the planning, monitoring, evaluation and learning (PMEL) services for our partners in Mali. The senior expert will focus on PMEL processes and understands how data is used to improve decision making. He/she is able to facilitate the development of Monitoring Frameworks, Survey Designs and other tailored PMEL data services for our partners.
As a senior PMEL expert, you are responsible for overseeing and managing the content of PMEL deliverables in Akvo partnerships. Your role is to help partners identify their PMEL needs, and to provide and oversee tailor-made PMEL advice. You are highly self-reliant and can independently perform your tasks and responsibilities. You understand Akvo’s data journey and actively act in accordance to it when engaging with partners. You are responsible for initiating new PMEL- focused opportunities and improving the use of PMEL services among our partners. You advise and support a team of PMEL experts in the global team in Amsterdam and in the other hubs, and are responsible for knowledge sharing and mentoring. You work closely together with other senior experts, project officers and project- and programme managers in Akvo.
- Drive Akvo’s PMEL strategy in Mali and surrounding countries
- Translate partner needs into high quality, relevant, tailor-made, context- specific, co-created advice on PMEL
- Support the Mali team in delivering high quality PMEL services to partnerships
- Design PMEL training & workshops, and support colleagues to do the same
- Maintain external knowledge network and position Akvo in PMEL
- Actively monitor sector developments and discover new opportunities in PMEL
- Support proposal writers with PMEL components for programme proposals where relevant
- Provide programme support about PMEL services and facilitate internal PMEL learning sessions
Key competencies and skills
- Over 8 years of work experience in PMEL expertise areas, preferably in the international development sector
- Proven track record in training and workshop facilitation
- Experience in capacity development of partners, or doing the PMEL of capacity development programmes
- Successfully initiated new assignments and partnerships
- Strong experience in Context analysis, Theory of change, Monitoring frameworks, Learning, and Using data for decision-making
- Experience in Outcome Harvesting and other qualitative monitoring methods
- Have a good knowledge of data analysis software.
- Knowledge of quantitative and data methods is an advantage
- Field experience of working in a developing country is an advantage
- The ability to operate via online tools, as part of a global team
- Great communication and team collaboration skills
- An open and approachable attitude, collaborative and a team player
- An entrepreneurial and innovative mindset
- Excellent command of the French language in both writing and speaking and professional level in English is required.
- Please note that for this position, you must be based in Mali.
What we offer
- Full time (40 hours/week) employment contract for 12 months, with the intention of building a long-lasting working relationship
- A unique chance to work in an open, ambitious, collaborative environment with very dedicated teams that aim to have a positive impact on the world
- You will be part of our international Akvo community, with motivated and talented people whose diverse backgrounds converge to accomplish shared objectives
- A competitive package in line with the market.
How to apply
Think you’ve got what it takes? Click the link below to send your motivation letter and resume (including references) in PDF to Abdoulaye Semde. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis.