Our team at Akvo is our biggest source of pride and joy. Spread across six continents, and with regional hubs on five, we always seek to embody and be guided by the impact that we want to contribute to.
We're often on the lookout for new talent to strengthen and enrich our team. Check out our vacancies below or get in touch with us at work[at]akvo.org.
Akvo is looking for a senior front end developer to take a leading role in the front end work of our open source data platform.
We believe that sustainable change will happen faster if governments and non governmental organisations become more effective, accountable and collaborative. With a team of data and development experts, an open source data platform, and a proven methodology, we help our partners power their decisions to achieve inclusive and sustainable impact.
As a senior front end developer at Akvo, you will take a leading role in front end work on the open source data platform. You will mainly contribute to Akvo Lumen, an SPA built using React and Clojure and continuously deployed using Kubernetes. You will also work on Akvo Flow, another SPA built with Ember (currently being migrated to React) and Java.
You will be part of the development team, with most team members distributed geographically across Europe, and you’ll work closely with the design team. You will report to the development team lead.
Together with our diverse team, you are driven by creating valuable products that enhance Akvo’s impact. You are a problem solver and an independent thinker who takes initiative and knows when to involve the rest of the team. You keep pushing to understand why certain things are the way they are, or what the root cause of a problem is, while being willing to learn and stay at the forefront of current technologies to deliver the best product to our users. You do not shy away from complexity and unknowns, and you understand how to split things up in clever ways in order to ship step by step and learn from it quickly.
- Develop user-facing features and ensure the technical feasibility of UI/UX designs together with the team.
- Optimise the application for future use, maximum speed, scalability and usability.
- Lead the future of front end development for the Akvo open source data platform, including mentoring other front end developers.
- Guide junior front end developers and share knowledge with the team.
Requirements and competencies:
- Minimum of five years experience as Front End developer.
- Minimum two years experience in React.
- Knowledge of Clojure, ClojureScript, Java, Ember.js is a plus.
- A good eye for design and drive for improving user experience.
- Ability to convert a design into a functional application with semantic markup with great attention to detail.
- Interest in writing and implementing tests.
- Good understanding of visualisations like charts and maps.
- Able to work independently with a willingness to work in a remote team.
- Based within three hours of the Central European Time zone (CET).
What we offer:
- This assignment is on a remote contractor basis, for a commitment of 32 hours/week and will start with a one year assignment with the intention of building a long lasting working relationship
- Opportunity to lead the front end architecture and work with interesting technologies in a creative and entrepreneurial environment together with highly motivated colleagues.
- A unique chance to work with tools that contribute to achieving higher efficiency and better results for the development aid sector.
- You will be part of our international Akvo community, with colleagues all over the world.
- Remuneration in line with the market.
Click on the button below to apply for this position by sending your portfolio links, motivation letter and CV to Peter van der Linde before 10 October 2019.
Akvo is looking for a human resources (HR) officer to take on a wide variety of responsibilities within our global team, from recruitment and salary administration to implementing global staff policies and contributing to a happy and healthy workplace.
We believe that sustainable change will happen faster if governments and non-governmental organisations become more effective, accountable and collaborative. With a team of data and development experts, an open source data platform and a proven methodology, we help governments and non governmental organisations power their decisions to achieve inclusive and sustainable impact. We work to improve the management of water, sanitation and agriculture and have a strong commitment to the progress of the sustainable development goals.
As an HR officer, each day is different. You’ll execute Akvo’s HR policies in an international context and take responsibility for contract renewals, salary talks, sick leave and prevention, HR administration, and keeping labour conditions up to date. Other responsibilities include insurance, tax, and working/living abroad conditions. You will ensure that global labour conditions are in line with Akvo’s policies. Through your role, you will actively contribute to a happy and healthy workplace.
You will be part of the HR and talent and report to the HR and talent manager. You’ll work closely with the HR staff members in all of our hubs, the global finance and admin team, (hub) managers and staff members. This position is based in Amsterdam.
- Coordinate and prepare labour contracts.
- Master monthly salary administration and coordinate the yearly salary round.
- Coordinate and execute recruitment, onboarding, and exit processes.
- Monitor and improve Akvo’s labour terms and conditions.
- Coordinate sick leave administration.
- Support the execution of Akvo’s safety policy.
- Provide support and advice to the HR and talent manager, (hub) managers, and HR staff members globally.
- Actively engage and collaborate with Akvo’s HR and talent team in order to improve processes.
- Oversee and coordinate the local labour law compliance.
Requirements and competencies:
- Three to five years of work experience in HR-related positions.
- Experience with HR, especially on international labour conditions, tax, and labour law.
- Excellent organisation and coordination skills
- A strong set of communication skills and the ability to connect with different roles, cultures, and locations.
- Strong advisory/consultancy skills in order to advise managers on contractual HR issues.
- The ability to operate via online tools as part of a global team.
- Excellent command Dutch and English in both writing and speaking. French is a bonus.
What we offer:
- You will be part of our international Akvo community, with motivated and talented people whose diverse backgrounds converge to accomplish shared objectives.
- A unique chance to work in an open, ambitious, collaborative environment with dedicated teams that aim to have a positive impact on the world .
- 32 hours per week employment contract for a definite period with the intention of building a long-lasting working relationship.
- A competitive salary within the range of €2750 and €4000.
- Personal development budget.
- Participation in our pension scheme.
- 8% holiday allowance.
Click on the button below to apply for this position by sending your motivation letter and CV to Maaike van der Velden before 21 October 2019.