Akvo is looking for a front end developer to take a leading role in the development of our open source data platform. As a front end developer, you will mainly contribute to UNEP Global Partnership on Marine Litter Digital Platform (GPML), a multi-stakeholder partnership that brings together all actors working to prevent marine litter and plastic pollution. You will be part of the development team with most team members distributed geographically across Europe. You will work closely with the design team.
Together with our diverse team, you are driven to create valuable products that enhance Akvo’s impact. You are able to figure things out yourself and know when to involve the rest of the team. You always keep pushing to understand why certain things are the way they are or what the root cause of a problem is while being willing to learn and stay at the forefront of current technologies. You do not shy away from complexity and unknowns, you take initiative, and you understand how to split things up in clever ways, so we ship step-by-step and learn from it quickly.
- Develop user-facing features and ensure the technical feasibility of UI/UX designs together with the team
- Optimise the application for future use, maximum speed, scalability and usability
- Contribute to UNEP GPML (https://github.com/akvo/unep-gpml), an SPA built using React and a Clojure backend, continuously deployed using Kubernetes.
Requirements and competencies
- Knowledge of Clojure, ClojureScript, Java, Ember.js is a plus
- A good eye for design and drive for improving user experience
- Ability to convert a design to functional application with semantic markup with great attention to detail
- Interest in writing and implementing tests
- Good understanding of visualisations like charts and maps
- Able to work independently with a willingness to work in a remote team
- Excellent command of English and French in both writing and speaking
What we offer
- This assignment is a commitment of 40 hours/week and will start with a 1-year contract
- Opportunity to contribute to the front end architecture and work with interesting technologies in a creative and entrepreneurial environment together with highly motivated colleagues
- A unique chance to work with tools that contribute to achieving higher efficiency and better results for the development aid sector
- You will be part of our international Akvo community, with colleagues all over the world
- Remuneration in line with the market
This is a full-time position. Your actual location is less important than the fact that you are fully equipped to work remotely, however our team works in the CET timezone, so a location within this timezone, +/- max. 2 hours is preferred.
How to apply
Akvo works with a diverse and international team, and we are committed to promoting diversity and inclusion across our organisation. If you think you are the right person for this position, we highly encourage everyone to apply.
Think you’ve got what it takes? Click the link below to send your CV and motivation letter to Geert Soet by 15 September 2021.