Our team at Akvo is our biggest source of pride and joy. Spread across six continents, and with regional hubs on five, we always seek to embody and be guided by the impact that we want to contribute to.
We're often on the lookout for new talent to strengthen and enrich our team. Check out our vacancies below or get in touch with us at work[at]akvo.org.
Akvo is looking for a full time Senior PMEL Expert to drive the planning, monitoring, evaluation and learning (PMEL) services for our partners in Mali. The senior expert will focus on PMEL processes and understands how data is used to improve decision making. He/she is able to facilitate the development of Monitoring Frameworks, Survey Designs and other tailored PMEL data services for our partners.
As a senior PMEL expert, you are responsible for overseeing and managing the content of PMEL deliverables in Akvo partnerships. Your role is to help partners identify their PMEL needs, and to provide and oversee tailor-made PMEL advice. You are highly self-reliant and can independently perform your tasks and responsibilities. You understand Akvo’s data journey and actively act in accordance to it when engaging with partners. You are responsible for initiating new PMEL- focused opportunities and improving the use of PMEL services among our partners. You advise and support a team of PMEL experts in the global team in Amsterdam and in the other hubs, and are responsible for knowledge sharing and mentoring. You work closely together with other senior experts, project officers and project- and programme managers in Akvo.
- Drive Akvo’s PMEL strategy in Mali and surrounding countries
- Translate partner needs into high quality, relevant, tailor-made, context- specific, co-created advice on PMEL
- Support the Mali team in delivering high quality PMEL services to partnerships
- Design PMEL training & workshops, and support colleagues to do the same
- Maintain external knowledge network and position Akvo in PMEL
- Actively monitor sector developments and discover new opportunities in PMEL
- Support proposal writers with PMEL components for programme proposals where relevant
- Provide programme support about PMEL services and facilitate internal PMEL learning sessions
Key competencies and skills
- Over 8 years of work experience in PMEL expertise areas, preferably in the international development sector
- Proven track record in training and workshop facilitation
- Experience in capacity development of partners, or doing the PMEL of capacity development programmes
- Successfully initiated new assignments and partnerships
- Strong experience in Context analysis, Theory of change, Monitoring frameworks, Learning, and Using data for decision-making
- Experience in Outcome Harvesting and other qualitative monitoring methods
- Have a good knowledge of data analysis software.
- Knowledge of quantitative and data methods is an advantage
- Field experience of working in a developing country is an advantage
- The ability to operate via online tools, as part of a global team
- Great communication and team collaboration skills
- An open and approachable attitude, collaborative and a team player
- An entrepreneurial and innovative mindset
- Excellent command of the French language in both writing and speaking and professional level in English is required.
What we offer
- Full time (40 hours/week) employment contract for 12 months, with the intention of building a long-lasting working relationship
- A unique chance to work in an open, ambitious, collaborative environment with very dedicated teams that aim to have a positive impact on the world
- You will be part of our international Akvo community, with motivated and talented people whose diverse backgrounds converge to accomplish shared objectives
- A competitive package in line with the market.
How to apply
- Think you’ve got what it takes? Send your motivation letter and resume (including references) in PDF to Abdoulaye Semde via email@example.com with the subject line “Application Senior PMEL expert Mali.” Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis.
- Please note that for this position, you must be based in Mali.