Our team at Akvo is our biggest source of pride and joy. Spread across six continents, and with regional hubs on five, we always seek to embody and be guided by the impact that we want to contribute to.
We're often on the lookout for new talent to strengthen and enrich our team. Check out our vacancies below or get in touch with us at work[at]akvo.org.
Akvo is looking for the right candidate to lead the development of its activities in East and Southern Africa. Akvo’s East Africa hub is the headquarters of the Akvo Kenya Foundation and is located in Nairobi, Kenya. As the Akvo East Africa hub manager, you’ll be responsible for overseeing and leading regional activities, and further developing our international network of partners.
We believe that sustainable change will happen faster if governments and non-governmental organisations become more effective, accountable and collaborative. With a team of data and development experts, an open source data platform and a proven methodology, we help governments and non-governmental organisations make decisions that lead to inclusive and sustainable impact. We work to improve the management of water, sanitation and agriculture and have a strong commitment to the progress of the sustainable development goals.
You are an inspiring leader with a clear vision and the skills to make this vision a reality. You have an entrepreneurial mindset and are able to motivate team members to work successfully as a team and help the hub to thrive. You have the capacity to manage a broad portfolio of activities and opportunities.
As the manager of the East Africa team, you’ll focus on the sustainable growth of the hub and ensure the quality of our operations in East and Southern Africa. You’ll be part of the global team of hub managers and report to the head of operations, based in Amsterdam, and the supervisory board of the Akvo Kenya Foundation.
- Manage the Akvo Kenya team of six people – mentor and coach the team, ensure the appropriate division of tasks and the best use of each team members’ talents and skills, and nurture their personal development.
- Perform performance reviews every six months.
- Lead by example and actively contribute to a happy and healthy work culture.
- Identify and raise funds for new business partnerships.
- Take full responsibility for Akvo Kenya’s annual budget and ensure a steady income for Akvo Kenya Foundation.
- Manage larger programmes and provide narrative and financial reports for internal management, executive boards, and external funders.
- Represent Akvo at regional meetings and events and engage with regional technology and international development aid communities.
- Develop a long term strategy for the East Africa hub.
- Co-create the global Akvo strategy with other hub managers and Akvo’s board of directors and management team.
Requirements and competencies:
- A relevant Master’s degree
- Experience Level: Executive/management level
- At least 5 years of experience in setting up and running a country and/or regional offices, including financial management and the management of a multi-disciplinary team.
- At least 10 years’ experience in programme management, preferably in the international development sector, with experience in WASH and/or agriculture.
- Ability to take initiative and work independently, in a proactive, decisive and results-driven way.
- Ability to rely on a strong network in the East African development sector.
- Experience in sales and/or fundraising with large multi-country and multi-stakeholder programmes.
- An entrepreneurial mindset and strong leadership and communications skills.
- An affiliation with Akvo’s values and an alliance with Akvo’s goals.
- Fluency in English is essential. Excellent written and spoken French and/or Portuguese would be a plus.
- Experience working in an international environment with diverse working styles and cultures.
What we offer:
- Full time (40 hours/week) employment contract for a definite period of time, with the intention of building a long-lasting working relationship
- Transport allowance
- Medical cover
- Subsidised staff lunch
- Annual personal development budget
- Opportunity to travel for assignments in East and Southern Africa
- A unique chance to work in an open, ambitious, collaborative environment with dedicated teams that aim to have a positive impact on the world
- You will be part of our international Akvo community, with motivated and talented people whose diverse backgrounds converge to accomplish shared objectives
Click on the button below to apply for this position by sending your motivation letter and CV to Hans Merton before 18 November 2019.